The Department of Health Outcomes and Policy provides training to research-oriented professionals and scientists to answer these crucial questions:
What works? For which patients or populations? Under which circumstances?
Training in this growing field—often called implementation science, prevention science or health services research—focuses on how to conduct research that evaluates health care and community-level interventions and ultimately informs policy. Scientists trained in these research methodologies are essential to bridge the gap between patient care and population-based outcomes.
In an effort to train the next generation of researchers and health care professionals, the Department of Health Outcomes and Policy draws from the multi-disciplinary strengths of its faculty, which includes health services researchers, epidemiologists, prevention scientists, economists, medical anthropologists, biostatisticians, pyschologists and medical sociologists to teach students how to develop and evaluate health interventions, treatments, preventions practices and policies and determine what works on a large-scale level and why.
Health Outcomes and Policy Graduate Programs
- Graduate Certificate in Health Outcomes and Policy
- M.S. in Medical Sciences, Health Outcomes and Policy concentration
- Ph.D. in Medical Sciences, Health Outcomes and Policy concentration
What makes our health research graduate programs distinctive?
The graduate programs at the Department of Health Outcomes and Policy give students the opportunity to gain a specific set of skills and research experiences, including:
- Design and implementation of health outcomes research
- Research design methodologies
- Clinical effectiveness research and health outcomes assessments
- Data collection, measurement and analysis methodologies
- Conducting research with vulnerable and underserved populations
- Assessing health risk and outcomes from a variety of perspectives
- Cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis in health care
- Clinical and translational research
- Policy analysis and community engagement
- Disseminating and implementing research findings to communities
Moreover, each student conducts mentored research in order to apply these skills in a hands-on setting.