Martin Wegman is a NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awardee and MD-PhD student at the University of Florida and recent Doris Duke International Clinical Research Fellow at Yale School of Medicine. Pursuing his PhD in the Department of Epidemiology, Martin receives his primary mentorship from Dr. Elizabeth Shenkman, professor and chair of the Department of Health Outcomes and Policy. His work focuses on analyzing and developing policies and systems to improve population health and social outcomes, with attention to individuals living at the margins of society, including those affected by drug use and mental illness. His research has taken him to Malaysia and South Africa, and has spanned topics ranging from harm reduction, managed care and patient engagement.
With published work in Medical Care, Health Affairs and JAMA, Martin has garnered over $350,000 in grant support for his efforts. He has received national recognition, including the AMA Foundation’s 2013 Leadership Award and the ACMQ 2012 National Quality Scholar Award. For his research with Health Outcomes and Policy faculty, he received the Award for Research in Medicaid Managed Care by the Association of Community Affiliated Plans.
Formerly, he was Executive Director for the Equal Access Clinic Network in Gainesville, FL and a founding Section Editor for the Q-TIP column in the American Journal of Medical Quality. Martin is National Past-Chair of the Student/Resident/Fellows Section of the American College of Medical Quality where he facilitates efforts to engage other health professional trainees in meaningful medical quality work. After his training, Martin plans to continue to influence patient and population health as an academic clinician-scientist.
Click here to view Martin’s CV.
- HOP Pre-doctoral Candidate Presents at APHA Meeting
- Researchers Publish Pilot Study on Adolescent Health Risk Assessments in Maternal & Child Health Journal
- HOP Pre-Doctoral Fellow Chosen for AcademyHealth Scholarship
- HOP Student Chosen as an Outstanding Graduate Student by the UF Graduate Student Council
- HOP Student to Present at AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting
- HOP Student Wins Top Award at College of Medicine’s “Celebration of Research” Poster Event
- Fellow Selected to Present at Upcoming APHA Chair’s Forum
- Both Med Students and Patients Gain from New Health Outreach Program
- New Medicaid health care program for disabled adults improves aspects of patients’ care
- HOP MD-PhD Student Martin Wegman Selected to Receive Impact Award!
- HOP MD-PhD Student Martin Wegman Awarded a Burroughs-Wellcome Fund Travel Award!
- Martin Wegman recipient of ACAP’s 2013 Award for Research in Medicaid Managed Care
- The SWAG Oasis Project
- HOP MD-PhD Student Martin Wegman Receives Annual AMA Leadership Award!