Phone: (352) 294-8428
Clinical and Translational Research Building
2004 Mowry Road, Room 2253-4
PO Box 100219
Gainesville, FL 32601-0219
- Ph.D., Multilingual Information Processing, University of Geneva, graduated with highest honors
- M.A., Multilingual Information Processing, University of Geneva
- Specialization certificate (M.A.), Terminology, University of Geneva
- M.A., Translation, University of Geneva
Dr. Selja Seppälä is a Postdoctoral Associate working under the supervision of Dr. Amanda Hicks. Seppälä comes to the Department of Health Outcomes & Policy from the Departments of Philosophy and Biomedical Informatics at the State University of New York at Buffalo (UB), where she worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher from 2012 to 2016.
Her current work lays the groundwork for creating computer-assisted natural language definition writing tools leveraging ontological data. These tools will be useful to both terminologists and ontologists. Her interdisciplinary research project, funded for three years by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) and carried out under the supervision of Dr. Barry Smith at UB, involves close collaboration with researchers in the field of Biomedical Informatics. Her research interest is in definitions in ontologies, dictionaries, and technical manuals, as well as in the automation of definition processing, production, and checking. Her research includes work on ontology mapping and versioning. Her primary domains of expertise are applied ontology, terminology, and natural language processing.
- Applied Ontology
- Natural Language Processing
- Lexical semantics
- S. Seppälä, Y. Schreiber, A. Ruttenberg, and B. Smith. (forthcoming) Definitions in ontologies. Cahiers de lexicologie, 4 (Numéro thématique ”Au coeur de la définition”).
- S. Seppälä, A. Ruttenberg, and B. Smith. The Functions of Definitions in Ontologies. (2016) In R. Ferrario and W. Kuhn, editors, Formal Ontology in Information Systems: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference (FOIS 2016), volume 283 of Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, pages 37–50. IOS Press, Annecy, France, July 6-9. doi:10.3233/978-1-61499-660-6-37. http://ebooks.iospress.nl/volumearticle/44233.
- S. Seppälä, A. Hicks, and A. Ruttenberg. (2016) Semi-Automatic Mapping of WordNet to Basic Formal Ontology. (2016) In V. B. Mititelu, C. Forăscu, C. Fellbaum, and P. Vossen, editors, Proceedings of the Eighth Global WordNet Conference, pages 369–376, Bucharest, Romania, January 27-30. http://gwc2016.racai.ro/proceedings.html.
- S. Seppälä and A. Hicks. (2015) Enhancing terminological knowledge with upper level ontologies. In T. Poibeau and P. Faber, editors, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Terminology and Artificial Intelligence (TIA 2015), volume Vol-1495, Granada, Spain, November, 4-5. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. PMCID: PMC4800986. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1495/paper_15.pdf.
- S. Seppälä. (2015) An ontological framework for modeling the contents of definitions. Terminology, 21(1):23–50. doi:10.1075/term.21.1.02sep.
- S. Seppälä, B. Smith, and W. Ceusters. Applying the Realism-Based Ontology-Versioning Method for Tracking Changes in the Basic Formal Ontology. In P. Garbacz and O. Kutz, editors, Formal Ontology in Information Systems. Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference (FOIS 2014), pages 227–240, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2014. IOS Press. doi:10.3233/978-1-61499-438-1-227. http://philpapers.org/archive/SEPATR.pdf.
- Seppälä S. (Principal Investigator). Consolidating the Ontological Analysis Framework for Future Applications: Follow-Up Project to ‘Reciprocal Enhancement of Terminological and Ontological Resources Through Definition Analysis’. Advanced Postdoc.Mobility fellowship P300P1_154609. Swiss National Science Foundation. 09/01/2014-08/31/2015; Award amount: $49,219.
- Seppälä S. (Principal Investigator). Reciprocal Enhancement of Terminological and Ontological Resources Through Definition Analysis. Advanced Postdoc.Mobility fellowship P300P1_147821. Swiss National Science Foundation. 09/01/2013-08/31/2014; Award amount: $46,700.
- Seppälä S. (Principal Investigator). Ontological Models for Feature Selection in Definition Writing for Terminological and Ontological Resources. Post-doctoral Fellowship for Prospective Researchers PBGEP1‑142281. Swiss National Science Foundation. 09/01/2012-08/31/2013; Award amount: $44,117.
- Seppälä S. (Principal Investigator). Conceptual Aspects of Definitions in Terminology. Doctoral Fellowship for Prospective Researchers PBGE1-119326. Swiss National Science Foundation. 09/01/2007-06/30/2008; Award amount: $29,615.
- 2016 – ICBO 2016 travel fellowship awarded by the Organizing Committee of the 7th International Conference on Biomedical Ontologies (ICBO 2016) (USA)
- 2015 – Best Poster Award at the 6th International Conference on Biomedical Ontologies (ICBO 2015) (Portugal)
- 2015 – Travel grant, awarded by the Organizing Committee of the 6th International Conference on Biomedical Ontologies (ICBO 2015) (Portugal)
- 2014 – Advanced Postdoc.Mobility fellowship, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) (Switzerland)
- 2014 – Qualification to the function of “maître de conférences” in section 7 – Language Sciences: general linguistics and phonetics (France) – Eligibility for French university tenured professorship appointments
- 2013 – Advanced Postdoc.Mobility fellowship, SNSF (Switzerland)
- 2012 – Fellowship for Prospective Researchers, SNSF (Switzerland)
- 2007 – Fellowship for Prospective Researchers, SNSF (Switzerland)