Assistant Professor, Health Outcomes & Policy
Faculty, Institute for Child Health Policy
Phone: (352) 627-9138
2199 Mowry Road, Room 122
PO Box 100177
Gainesville, FL 32611
- Ph.D., Sociology, Emory University 2007
- M.A., Sociology, University of North Carolina at Greensboro 2000
- B.A., Sociology, Emory University 1997
Dr. Walker serves as faculty in the Department of Health Outcomes and Policy and the Institute for Child Health Policy in the College of Medicine at the University of Florida and holds a courtesy appointment in The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Florida. Dr. Walker’s areas of research include medical sociology and health disparities with a particular focus on pediatric diabetes and the role of social capital in determining health outcomes. Dr. Walker coordinates the research components of the Florida Healthy Kids program evaluation team, which examines quality of care delivered to children enrolled in this statewide initiative. She is the lead author on recent manuscripts published in the International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Clinical Diabetes. Dr. Walker has taught a wide range of classes including The Sociology of Food and Eating, Medical Sociology, and Research Methods. She is the recipient of five teaching awards (Emory University 2005, and Mars Hill University 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013) and is a former Sloan Research Fellow and served as the Chair of Social Sciences at Mars Hill University.
Health disparities in type 1 and type 2 diabetes for pediatric populations, food consumption practices and social identity, content analysis (including photo voice projects), survey design and analysis, and program outcome assessment/evaluation.
- HOP Faculty to Serve on ADA’s National Health Disparities Committee
- HOP Faculty Awarded Pilot Grant to Develop Diabetes Mentoring Program for Youth
- HOP Faculty to Present at American Diabetes Association’s 76th Scientific Sessions
- Picture perfect: Researchers use photos to understand how diabetes affects kids
- Three Pediatric Workgroup Projects Funded
- Walker AF, Schatz DA, Johnson C, Silverstein JH, Lyles S, Rohrs HJ. Type 1 diabetes through two lenses: comparing adolescent and parental perspectives with photovoice. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2016;2016(1):1-10. doi: 10.1186/s13633-016-0020-z.
- Walker AF, Johnson C, Schatz DA, Silverstein JH, Lyles S, Rohrs HJ. Using photography as a method to explore adolescent challenges and resilience in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Spectr. 2015;28(2):92-98.
- Walker AF, Schatz DA, Johnson C, Silverstein JH, Rohrs HJ. Disparities in social support systems for youths with type 1 diabetes. Clin Diabetes. 2015;33(2):62-69.
- Walker AF, Johnson C, Schatz DA, Silverstein JH, Rohrs HJ. Puppy love, adolescence, and chronic illness: the importance of pets for youth with type 1 diabetes. J Patient Exp. 2015;1(2):21-24.