Gurka MJ, Vishnu A, Santen RA, DeBoer MD. Progression of metabolic syndrome severity during the menopausal transition. Journal of the American Heart Association 5: e003609, 2016.
DeBoer MD, Gurka MJ, Morrison JA, Woo JG. Inter-relationships between the severity of metabolic syndrome, insulin, and adiponectin and their relationships to future type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. International Journal of Obesity 40: 1353-1359, 2016.
Gurka MJ, Vishnu A, Okereke OI, Musani S, Sims M, DeBoer MD. Depressive symptoms are associated with worsened severity of the metabolic syndrome in African American women independent of lifestyle factors: A consideration of mechanistic links from the Jackson Heart Study. Psychoneuroendocrinology 68: 82-90, 2016.
Lee AM, Gurka MJ, DeBoer MD. A metabolic syndrome severity score to estimate risk in adolescents and adults: current evidence and future potential. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy 14: 411-413, 2016.
- Lee AM, Charlton JR, Carmody JB, Gurka MJ, Deboer MD*. Metabolic risk factors in non-diabetic adolescents with glomerular hyperfiltration. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation (accepted).
- Lee AM, Gurka MJ, DeBoer MD*. Trends in metabolic syndrome severity and lifestyle factors among adolescents. Pediatrics 137(3): 1-9 e20153177, 2016.
- Gurka MJ*, Ice CL, Sun SS, DeBoer MD. A confirmatory factor analysis of the metabolic syndrome in adolescents: an examination of sex and racial/ethnic differences. Cardiovascular Diabetology 11: 128, 2012.
- Charlton J*, Norwood V, Kiley S, Gurka MJ, Chevalier R. The evolution of the urinary proteome during human renal development and maturation: variations with gestational and postnatal age. Pediatric Research 72: 179-185, 2012.
- Walker SE, Smolkin ME, O’Leary LL, Cluett SB, Norwood VF, DeBoer MD, Gurka MJ. Predictors of retention and BMI loss or stabilization in obese children enrolled in a weight loss intervention. Obesity Research and Clinical Practice 6: e330-3339, 2012.
- Grinsell MM*, Butz K, Gurka MJ, Gurka KK, Norwood V. Sport-related kidney injury among high-school athletes: incidence and relative risk. Pediatrics 130: e40-45, 2012.
- Bowman TA, Paget-Brown AF, Carroll J, Gurka MJ, Kattwinkel J*. Sensing and responding to compliance changes during manual ventilation using a lung model: can we teach healthcare providers to improve? Journal of Pediatrics 160: 372-376, 2012.
- DeBoer MD*, Dong L, Gurka MJ. Racial/ethnic and sex differences in the relationship between uric acid and metabolic syndrome in adolescents: an analysis of NHANES 1999-2006. Metabolism 61: 554-561, 2012.
- Walker SE, Gurka MJ, Oliver MN, Johns DW, DeBoer MD*. Racial/ethnic discrepancies in the metabolic syndrome begin in childhood and persist after adjustment for environmental factors. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease 22: 141-148, 2012.
- DeBoer MD* and Gurka MJ. Low sensitivity for the metabolic syndrome to detect uric acid elevations in female and Non-Hispanic-Black male adolescents: an analysis of NHANES 1999-2006. Atherosclerosis 220: 575-580, 2012
- Clarke CJ*, Gurka MJ, Norton PT, Kramer CM, Hoyer AW. Assessment of the accuracy and reproducibility of right ventricular volume measurements by cardiac magnetic resonance in patients with congenital heart disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Cardiovascular Imaging 5: 28-37, 2012.
- DeBoer MD*, Dong L, Gurka MJ. Racial/ethnic and sex differences in the ability of metabolic syndrome criteria to predict elevations in fasting insulin in adolescents. The Journal of Pediatrics 159: 975-981, 2011.
- Long C*, Gurka MJ, Blackman JA. Cognitive skills of young children with and without autism spectrum disorder using the BSID III. Autism Research and Treatment 2011: Article ID 759289 (7 pages), doi:10.1155/2011/759289.
- Gurka MJ*, Muller KE, Edwards LJ. Avoiding bias in mixed model inference for fixed effects. Statistics in Medicine 30: 2696-2707, 2011.
- Blackman JA*, Gurka MJ, Gurka KK, Oliver MN. Emotional, developmental and behavioral co-morbidities of children with chronic health conditions. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 47: 742-747, 2011.
- DeBoer MD*, Gurka MJ, Sumner AE. A diagnosis of the metabolic syndrome is associated with a disproportionately high degree of inflammation demonstrated by high levels of hsCRP in non-Hispanic black adolescents: An analysis of NHANES 1999-2008. Diabetes Care 34: 734-740, 2011.
- Kaufman DA*, Cuff AL, Wamstad J, Boyle R, Gurka MJ, Grossman LB, Patrick P. Fluconazole prophylaxis in extremely low birth weight infants and neurodevelopmental outcomes and quality of life at 8 to 10 years of age. Journal of Pediatrics 158: 759-765.e1, 2011.
- Gurka MJ* and Edwards LJ. Estimating variance components and random effects using the Box-Cox transformation in the linear mixed model. Communications in Statistics – Theory and Methods 40: 515-531, 2011.
- Gurka MJ*, Coffey CS, Gurka KK. Internal pilots for observational studies. Biometrical Journal 52: 590-603, 2010.
- Norwood KW, DeBoer MD*, Gurka MJ, Kuperminc MN, Rogol AD, Blackman JA, Wamstad JB, Buck ML, Patrick PD. Traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents: Surveillance for pituitary dysfunction. Clinical Pediatrics 11: 1044-1049, 2010.
- DeBoer MD* and Gurka MJ. Ability among adolescents for the metabolic syndrome to predict elevations in factors associated with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease: Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1999-2006. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders 8(4): 343-353, 2010.
- Kuperminc MN*, Gurka MJ, Bennis JA, Busby MG, Grossberg RI, Henderson RC, Stevenson RD. Anthropometric measures: poor predictors of body fat in children with moderate to severe cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 52: 824-830, 2010.
- Seckeler MD*, Hoke TR, Barton LL, Gurka MJ. No demonstrable effect of benzathine penicillin on recurrence of rheumatic fever in a Pacific Island population. Pediatric Cardiology 31: 849-852, 2010
- Gurka MJ*, LoCasale-Crouch J, Blackman JA. Long term cognition, achievement, socioemotional, and behavioral development of healthy late preterm infants. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 164(6): 525-532, 2010.
- McHugh KE, Hillman DG, Gurka MJ, Gutgesell HP*. Three stage palliation of hypoplastic left heart syndrome in the University Health System Consortium. Congenital Heart Disease 5: 8-15, 2010.
- Gurka MJ*, Kuperminc MN, Busby MG, Bennis JA, Grossberg RI, Houlihan CM, Stevenson RD, Henderson RC. Assessment and correction of skinfold thickness equations in estimating body fat in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 52: e35-e41, 2010.
- Stewart CR, Landseadel JP, Gurka MJ, Fairchild KD*. Hypothermia increases IL-6 and IL-10 in juvenile endotoxemic mice. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 11: 109-116, 2010.
- Gurka MJ*, Blackman JA, Heymann PW. Risk of childhood asthma in relation to the timing of early child care exposures. Journal of Pediatrics 155: 781-787, 2009.
- Kuperminc MN*, Gurka MJ, Houlihan CM, Henderson RC, Roemmich JN, Rogol AD, Stevenson RD. Puberty, statural growth, and growth hormone release in children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine 2: 131-141, 2009.
- Trowbridge MJ*, Gurka MJ, O’Connor RE. Urban sprawl and delayed ambulance arrival in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 37: 428-432, 2009.
- Sauer BG, Gurka MJ, Ellen K, Shami VM, Kahaleh M*. Effect of pancreatic duct stent diameter on hospitalization in chronic pancreatitis: does size matter? Pancreas 38: 728-731, 2009.
- Blackman JA*, Gurka MJ, Bao Y, Dragulev BP, Chen WM, Romness MJ. Apolipoprotein E and functional motor severity in cerebral palsy. Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine 2(1): 67-74, 2009.
- Kattwinkel J*, Stewart C, Walsh B, Gurka M, Paget-Brown A. Responding to compliance changes in a lung model during manual ventilation: perhaps volume, rather than pressure should be displayed. Pediatrics 123: e465-470, 2009.
- Kashmer L, Clark W, Gurka M, Elchuri S, Nyer M, Gonder-Frederick L*. Predictors of parental interest in continuous glucose monitoring for children with Type I diabetes. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 11(6): 373-378, 2009.
- Johnson JJ*, Muller KE, Slaughter JC, Gurka MJ, Gribbin MJ, Simpson SL. POWERLIB: SAS/IML software for computing power in multivariate linear models. Journal of Statistical Software 30(5): 1-27, 2009.
- Long C*, Gurka MJ, Blackman JA. Family stress and children’s language and behavior problems: results from the National Survey of Children’s Health. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education 28: 148-157, 2008.
- Kramer AH*, Gurka MJ, Nathan B, Dumont AS, Kassell NF, Bleck TP. Complications associated with anemia and blood transfusion in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Critical Care Medicine 36: 2070-2075, 2008.
- Hullfish KL*, Bovbjerg VE, Gurka MJ, Steers WD. Surgical vs. non-surgical treatment in women with pelvic floor dysfunction: patient-centered goals at one year. The Journal of Urology 179: 2280-2285, 2008.
- Kramer AH*, Gurka MJ, Nathan B, Dumont AS, Kassell NF, Bleck TP. Statin use was not associated with less vasospasm or improved outcomes following subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery 62: 422-430, 2008.
- Davis CK*, Cummings MW, Gurka MJ, Gutgesell HP. The natural history of congenital aortic stenosis determined by Doppler echocardiography. American Journal of Cardiology 101: 392-395, 2008.
- Kaufman DA*, Manzoni P, Gurka MJ, Grossman LB. Antifungal Prophylaxis in the NICU. Current Pediatric Reviews 3: 277-288, 2007.
- Gurka MJ*, Coffey CS, Muller KE. Internal pilots for a class of linear mixed models with Gaussian and compound symmetric data. Statistics in Medicine 26: 4083-4099, 2007.
- Hellems MA*, Gurka MJ, Hayden GF. Statistical literacy for readers of Pediatrics: A moving target. Pediatrics 119: 1083-1088, 2007.
- Buck ML, Gurka MJ, Goodkin HP.* Postmarketing modifications in the safety labeling of the new antiepileptics. Neurology 68: 1536-1537, 2007.
- Patrick PD*, Mabry JL, Gurka MJ, Buck ML, Boatwright E, Blackman JA. MRI patterns in prolonged response states following traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents. Brain Injury 21: 63-68, 2007.
- Gurka MJ*, Edwards LJ, Nylander-French L. Testing transformations for the linear mixed model. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 51: 4297-4307, 2007.
- Blackman JA* and Gurka MJ. Developmental and behavioral co-morbidities of asthma in children. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 28: 92-99, 2007.
- Patrick PD*, Blackman JA, Mabry JL, Buck ML, Gurka MJ, Conaway MR. Dopamine agonist therapy in low response children following traumatic brain injury. Journal of Child Neurology 21: 879-885, 2006.
- Kaufman D*, Gurka MJ, Hazen KC, Boyle R, Robinson M, Grossman LB. Patterns of fungal colonization in preterm infants less than 1000 grams birth weight. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 25: 733-737, 2006.
- Gurka MJ*, Wolf AM, Conaway MR, Crowther JQ, Nadler JL, Bovbjerg VE. Lifestyle intervention in obese patients with Type 2 Diabetes: The impact of the patient’s educational background. Obesity 14: 1085-1092, 2006.
- Blanchard L, Gurka MJ, Blackman JA.* Emotional, developmental, and behavioral health of American children and their families: A report from the 2003 National Survey Of Children’s Health. Pediatrics 117: e1202-e1212, 2006.
- Gurka MJ*, Edwards LJ, Muller KE, Kupper LL. Extending the Box-Cox transformation to the linear mixed model. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A 169: 273-288, 2006.
- Attridge JT, Herman AC, Gurka MJ, Griffin MP, McGahren ED, Gordon PV.* Discharge outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants with spontaneous intestinal perforations. Journal of Perinatology 26: 49-54, 2006.
- Gurka MJ.* Selecting the best linear mixed model under REML. The American Statistician 60: 19-26, 2006.
- Doctor A, Platt R, Sheram ML, Eischeid A, McMahon T, Maxey T, Doherty J, Axelrod A, Kline J, Gurka M, Gow A, Gaston B.* Hemoglobin conformation couples S-nitrosothiol content in erythrocytes to O2 gradients. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102: 5709-5714, 2005.
- Chalermskulrat W, Neuringer IP, Schmitz JL, Catellier DJ, Gurka MJ, Randell SH, Aris RM.* Human leukocyte antigen mismatches predispose to the severity of bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome after lung transplantation. Chest 123(6): 1825-31, 2003.
- Henderson RC*, Lark RK, Gurka MJ, Worley G, Fung EB, Conaway M, Stallings VA, Stevenson RD. Bone density and metabolism in children and adolescents with moderate to severe cerebral palsy. Pediatrics 110: e5, 2002.
* Indicates the corresponding author
** Indicates co-first authors